Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Woody McGee flies into Southeast Asia



Though now seems long ago, not much can be forgotten 'bout those dates within the '60s Air Force military travels. Graduating from an NCO prep school in February; offered a position as an instructor; returning with honors to my position as administrative clerk for the U.S. Air Force Chaplain School; a bride of less than 2 years; a child of 3 months; and just given and "in your face" turn down by the Deputy School Commandant to become a student for survival school in Nevada; April, I was "in country." Certainly, there is cause for remembering.Thirty day leave taken. Trip to Michigan from San Antonio, Texas. Transition. Good trip up, except got caught in St Louis in a traffic jam at oh dark thirty with a St Louis Cardinal game completion. Slept on two picnic tables during the trip while Gerry & Leah slept in the '60 Corvair. Slept a few more nights in and around Chicago on the return trip. One night with a friend while the bearings in the front end of the Corvair were replaced. Some other nights, while the engine was rebuilt just 50 miles south of Chicago, in motel playing cribbage for two days. Contacted that same Chaplain, who was in my face earlier, to ask for money to get the car out of repair. (Oh, by the way, he baptised all three children. And later we attended his Golden anniversary as a Priest in Morgantown WVA some years later. Only military representatives to show (another story). Gerry & Leah would return to live in mobile home on the San Antonio south side till returning from SEA tour. They did return to Roseville to spend the holidays Thanksgiving through New Years while I was gone. To explain feelings 'bout leaving. I can't. I recover till now from what was lost in that year with my wife and daughter.

I can share, that it took me three months in country before I got my head on. Then on to get my first Air Force Commendation Medal. I give thanks for what I was given to witness and physically encounter during my tour. The people of the Philippians and Southeast Asia, but most of all the other GI's whom I was able to respond to/with, are still here. That ole C47 carried a lot of for lack of better term "stuff" in it and carried a hell of a lot more of it out. A picture left with glasses, is still a moment without them that my two oldest girls (Gerry and Leah) remember my gone. Oh, but least forget, the Air Force had taught this Airman how to read upon his arrival into the service earlier in his career. Seems along with the reading abilities, I was put in charge of a master publications file. Constant changes. Page and written changes. One of the publications that was continually changed was the Air Force publications for assignments. WOW! Tour now to Southeast Asia. A way to return to family in San Antonio. Hey! Heads up. Read. Option of instructor given coming out of NCO prep School. Three months in country, the young NCO had an assignment back to Lackland Air Force Base to be a drill instructor. Yep, me and Jack Webb, later Lou Gossett Jr, now had something in common...at least from the roles...theirs in the movies...mine in reality. And, back to San Antonio, and my girls. Well, it may not be the day leaving, but it may give some idea of what it was to get there and return. Lee, thanks for asking. As for the stuff in between, hey that's another whole story in and of itself. Three hundred fifty nine days and a wake up contains a lot of moments in time. And, that's no.... Well just leave it at that. You have 4 others who have been there done that along with yourself. We did. I'll jump with the 5 of you anytime given the opportunity. And, I know there are 6 who will know how to get it done.

Woody









No comments:

Post a Comment